Location: within the scrotum were the temperature is 2-3oC below body temperature.
Function: production of sperm and secretion of androgens.
Composition: 250 lobules with 1-4 seminiferous tubules and connective tissue stroma with Leydig cells and intratesticular ducts.
- Sertoli cells (supporting or sustentacular cells) that contain characteristic inclusion bodies.
Function: supporting cells for the developing sperm, exchange of metabolic substrates and wastes between the developing spermatogenic cells and the circulatory system, exocrine secretion of androgen-binding protein, endocrine secretion of inhibin.
Location: between Sertoli cells
- Type A dark (Ad) spermatogonia, stem cells, undergo mitosis.
- Type A pale (Ap) spermatogonia are committed to the differentiation, undergo several mitotic divisions.
- Type B spermatogonia, ubdergo several mitotic division.
- Primary spermatocytes - undergo first meiotic division that results in reduction of number of chromosomes.
- Secondary spermatocytes enter the second meiotic division without synthesizing new DNA.
Spermatids, the haploid sells, undergo a maturation process (spermiogenesis).
Function: can live for several weeks in the male excurrent duct system, only 2-3 days in the female reproductive tract, were can fertilize the egg.
Location: in connective tissue stroma.
Function: epithelioid androgen, steroid-secreting cells.
Location: vascular connective tissue of mediastinum, the project of tunica albuginea.
Composition: Simple cuboidal or columnar epithelium on basal lamina.