Location: in upper left quadrant of the abdominal cavity.
Immune system functions
- Proliferation of lymphocytes
- Production of humoral antibodies
- Removal of macromolecular antigens from the blood
- Capsule of dense connective tissue with myofibroblasts from which trabeculae extends into
the substance of organ.
- Hilum - provides for passage of the splenic artery and vein, nerves, and lymphatic
- Splenic circulation - splenic artery enter the white pulp
as central artery and gives branches called marginal sinuses. In red pulp central artery continues into several penicillar arterioles, the
latter - into capillaries sheathed by macrophages. They empty directly into the
reticular meshwork of the cords or into the sinuses. The blood collected in the sinuses
drains to trabecular veins that converge into larger veins and leaves the spleen by
the splenic vein.
Functions: immune system functions, blood filtration and immune reactions to
Function: a meshwork for lymphocytes
Function: hematopoietic functions, filtration and degradation of red blood cells